Saturday, July 19, 2014

July 19 - August 1, 1984

Smash Hits, July 19, 1984

(click on the image to see the full issue)

Cover: Boy George in Japan
Centrespread: Green
Back cover: David Sylvian
Interviews: Pete Wylie; The High-Rise Hillbillies; Prince; The Messengers; Gary Davies; John Lydon; Culture Club; Billy Idol
Lyrics: I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair - Weather Girls; Lament - Ultravox; Some Guys Have All The Luck - Rod Stewart; Sweet Somebody - Shannon; You Think You're A Man - Divine; It's A Hard Life - Queen; Down On The Streets - Shakatak; Careless Whisper - George Michael; Everybody's Laughing - Phil Fearon & Galaxy; I'll Wait - Van Halen; Eyes Without A Face - Billy Idol; Sunglasses - Tracey Ullman
Start: big words on even bigger t-shirts, Katherine Hammett; personal file - Anne Nightingale  
Bitz: The Kane Gang: Martin Brammer, Paul Woods, Dave Brewis; Troy Tate, "Thomas"; Howard Jones, "Like To Get To Know You Well", Eurythmics; Jaki Graham, "Heaven Knows", Derek Bramble; Bruce Foxton, "S.O.S (My Imagination)"; Nile Rogers, Madonna, Bryan Ferry, Chic, John Taylor, Andy Taylor; "CCCan't You See", Vicious Pink; Hula Hoops, Chico Johnson, "Do The Hula Hoop"; Proteus Books: Boy George And Culture Club, Barry Manilow, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix; Some Bizarre compilation: The The, Test Department; Captain Sensible, "There Are More Snakes Than Ladders"; "Street Sounds No. 1s": Forrest, Herbie Hancock, Phil Fearon's Galaxy, Freeez; Deep Purple reform, Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore; Lloyd Cole and the Commotions; Bronski Beat, "Tell Me Why"; The Blue Nile, "Tinseltown In The Rain"; The Pretenders, Martin Chambers and Tracy have baby daughter, Francesca Catherine; Andrew Ridgeley's nose job; Neil; Japan, "Bamboo" fanzine, Howard Sawyer; "Electric Dreams", Culture Club, "Love Is Love", "The Dream", Hello Goodbye", "Waking Up With The House On Fire", Phil Pickett, "Chase Runner", Heaven 17, Giorgio Moroder, "Together With Electric Dreams", Philip Oakey, "Now You're Mine", Helen Terry; Matt Bianco, "Whose Side Are You On…."; Paul Quinn leaves Bourgie Bourgie, Edwyn Collins, "Pale Blue Eyes"; Care split; John Lennon and Yoko Ono, "Steppin' Out"; "Reggae Sunsplash '82"; The Smiths, "William (It Was Really Nothing)"; Culture Club fan club; Robert Hodgens: my 5 favorite cafes
Single reviews (Muriel Gray): Shriekback - Hand On My Heart; Careless Whisper - George Michael; Music Time - Styx; I Want To Be A Tree - Tim Pope; S.O.S. My Imagination - Bruce Foxton; I'm Stepping Out - John Lennon; ? (Question Mark) - Nena; Heart Of A Woman - Nona Hendryx; Video - Jeff Lynne; CCCan't You See… - Vicious Pink; A New Day - Killing Joke; Sunglasses - Tracey Ullman; I'll Wait - Van Halen; Nervous Shakedown - AC/DC; What Kind Of Girl? - APB; My Male Curiosity - Kid Creole and the Coconuts; I Love Men - Eartha Kitt; Rhythm Of The Street - Patti Austin; Tinsel Town In The Rain - Blue Nile; Love On Board - Friends Again; Black Beauty - Jools Holland
Album reviews (Ian Birch / Dave Rimmer / Lisa Anthony / Ro Newton / Linda Duff / Ian Cranna / Peter Martin): Victory - Jacksons; Diamond Life - Sade; Break Out - Pointer Sisters; Bees Knees And Chickens Elbows - Blue Rondo; All Fired Up - Fastway; Hallowed Ground - Violent Femmes; Anthem - Black Uhuru; Aura - King Sunny Ade & His African Beats
Nights Out: Gary Glitter; Stevie Wonder

5 comments:

  1. 30 years ago, I had a letter published in Smash Hits. It wasn't a great letter but I was thrilled to have been published (albeit under a pseudonym).
    I lost my copy several moves ago but thanks to your fine blog, I've finally been able to read my squirm-inducing prose yet again.
    Many thanks, Brian! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, Philip....I'm a bit dim: I can't figure out which letter is yours - what was your pseudonym?

      Delete
    2. I was, to my everlasting shame, "Brick Kershaw".

      Delete
  2. This is amazing. What a freaking insanely extensive magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smash Hits was a very broad church: all human life was there :)

      Delete