Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Show Must Go On!

Those of you who read the small print know that my Smash Hits collection ended with the issue published before Live Aid and this archive would come to an end on July 3, 2015.

Smash Hits, July 03, 1985

This, then, is the announcement everybody wanted, but nobody expected!

Longtime fans of the archive, Richard Hopwood and Shane Marais, have provided scans of the remainder of the issues from July and August, 1985 – and Shane has volunteered to provide scans from September 1985 onwards. These new scans will be added to the collection on Flickr and I shall continue to post a new issue here every fortnight; the only difference you’ll notice is that I shall not be listing the contents of each issue – I no longer have time to provide that sort of detail.

I know exactly what is involved in scanning one issue of Smash Hits, so I would never ask somebody to scan their entire collection. I am extremely grateful for what Richard and Shane have already done – and I am beyond grateful for what Shane has offered to do. The internet can be a strange place, full of unusual people, but it is also a tremendous resource; I am very proud of my little corner of the web and I think the fact that this archive will continue for the foreseeable future is a wonderful example of what the online community does best.

Please take a moment – either here or over on our Facebook page – to express your gratitude to both Richard and Shane....and to Steve Cawrey, another big fan of the archive who has filled in a few blank pages in my collection over the years.

I would like to thank everybody who has stumbled across this archive during the last six years and enjoyed the chance to relive the glory years of Smash Hits: I appreciate all the messages you have written, the comments you have posted on the blog and on Flickr, the links you have tweeted on Twitter and the discussions you have engaged in on Facebook. And thank you to everybody who sent Facebook friend requests; I am glad to know you all!

I have lavished a lot of time, effort and expense on the archive and, despite sometimes wishing I had never embarked upon this insane project, I had been dreading July 2015 / 1985, because I didn't want it to end. I am very excited that the end is not nigh and delighted that a new stage in our journey is beginning; I look forward to spending the next few years with you all!

Brian

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Richard and Shane and Steve Cawrey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you Brian for all your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brian, Richard, Shane & Steve. Love Love Love reading the old issues and chuffed they are now continuing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news. Fantastic resource. All your efforts are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are stars. Your archive is UNBELIEVABLE! I started buying Smash hits on 1988 and it wasn't always available in Greece. I literally lived through every issue, always thought I could breath UK air... Thanks you from the bottom of my heart. CL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Brian - momentous challenge you set yourself and well done, it's all here. Glad to have helped with a few blanks! Steve Cawrey

    ReplyDelete